10.13.2016

Custom Beer Glass

I'm sure you've seen a few Pinterest posts on glass cutting. Turning empty beer bottles into glasses.

It's definitely a cool idea, especially if you get your hands on a good looking bottle with graphics that have some real artistic quality. So pro tip: buy some full ones, and make them empty. One sip at a time.

That being said, there are a few techniques out there online for cutting the glass. Burning yarn, and all the rest. I lucked out and the fam put in for a Father's Day gift. A legitimate bottle cutting tool. And lucky me, I just happened to have a few quality empty bottles tucked away.

Pro tip number two: the larger bottles seem to work better for me. Either because of thicker glass or whatever else. So I focused on cutting those. Plus, it makes for a better size drinking glass when it's all said and done.

If you didn't know already, the actual glass cutting is not really cutting the glass. It's more like etching the glass. I poured hot and cold water in succession over the etched part, until the glass cracked and the top fell off. It took me a few tries to get this done right and I now prep a tea kettle with hot water along side a pitcher of ice water each time I plan to make a cut.

The break in the glass came out pretty smooth but it's got to be sanded before it's truly safe for drinking. A diamond sanding pad did the trick for me. Course grit to even it out and a fine grit to finish up.

Project done, and now it's time to shop for some more beer bottles that I can turn into empty beer bottles.



Questions? Leave me a comment below or click the link on the right to email me 


No comments:

Post a Comment